Thursday, September 06, 2007

I can do all things through Christ...

So tomorrow starts a big change for me. I am finally (with a lot of help from God) quitting smoking. For those of you who don't know, I have been smoking since I lived in PNG (about six years now). I've tried quitting a few times in the past, and the best I've done, on my own strength, has been about two weeks. In the last few days the Lord has really impressed on me the need to quit. It is an addiction that says I can't get by in life without help from something of the world; it is an area of my life that until this point I have been reluctant to give over to Him. I don't feel like the Bible specifically says anything about smoking any more than it does about drinking coffee, not getting enough sleep, or not exercising. It is about the gift God has given us in these human bodies, and maintaining what He has given us.

It's going to be rough at first getting back into work (tomorrow is my first day back in a while) and also breaking a very ingrained habbit, and I would appreciate prayer if you think about it during the next few weeks, especially. Thoughts and suggestions from anyone who has fought this addiction in the past would be very welcome, too. :)

I'll try to keep you posted on how it's going. I am actually looking forward to this very much, and dreading it at the same time.


Anson


Update: It's been over a week now, and God is truly amazing. I haven't smoked once since I committed to quitting, and what is even more incredible, I haven't even really had a strong urge to at all! I could have never done this by myself. Truly we serve an awesome God!

3 comments:

Mom V said...

Yay, hooray! I only read this right now, but I am praying!
Mom

Anonymous said...

yay, Anson :D that makes me happy. I'll pray for you, too.

-Aimee

Unknown said...

that's great news! I'll be praying for you

-Naomi