Friday, March 01, 2013

Hearing God without understanding is OK too


The last several days we've spent in west Texas, New Mexico, and Arizona. Ever since our first morning driving through the wide open spaces in Texas, I've felt a longing in my heart. At first I thought it might just be a desire to live somewhere new, or my emotional response to such a beautiful, raw, and mysterious place, but I'm not sure now. I think that what I'm feeling as we drive through the deserts, mountains, plains, and prairies is a desire to create. To live in a place and a life where I can see the results of a days work in a tangible way. I want to shape, to move, to grow the earth. I'm pretty sure I'm not really cut out to be a farmer, rancher, or some hunter-gatherer prehistoric man, but I do feel a desire live closer to the way God created man in the beginning.

The first command God gave mankind after creating Adam and Eve was:
“...Be fruitful and increase in number; fill the earth and subdue it..." (Genesis 1:28, NIV)

God made us to work and live in connection with the rest of the world that He created for us. I realize that it's not practical or even enjoyable for everyone to live on a farm or directly work the land, and this is the first time in my life where I've even felt a faint desire to do that. I don't know what all this means; I've still got a minimum of 3 years left in the Navy, and really no idea what we'd like to pursue after that. But I do know that God's been pulling me towards something these last few days. Some realization, some direction, some thought. Maybe just pulling me closer to Him as He reveals himself through creation. I don't know. But I do know that spending time in the western states has affected me way more than I thought possible.

Things I've learned:
1) God's creation is just amazing. How have I lived in this country for this long and never seen all this before!?
2) Getting away from daily routines and the 'normals' of life opens us up to hearing God speak. I've never felt a more intense pull towards God than I have in the wilderness of these states.
3) Sometimes it's enough to just hear that God is speaking without knowing exactly what He's saying. I feel now more than ever before in my life that God has a purpose in mind specifically for me. I still have no more of an idea what that might be than I did a week ago, but that's OK. It's enough to know that He knows.

No comments: