Tuesday, July 22, 2008

39 days and counting

The invitations are mostly in envelopes, now, and should be in the mail soon. Those of you living overseas might not see them for a little while yet, but the rest should start showing up in mailboxes soon. Every day seems to go by slower and slower now... And in some ways, that's good. God still has things to teach us both while we're in this transitory stage of life, and He has definitely been doing that.

We started reading "Your God is too Safe", by Mark Buchanan a few days ago. We've been reading books together off and on since we started dating. Each reading a chapter at a time, and then talking about what we read on the phone at night. We've read "Wild at Heart" by John Eldredge, "Captivating" by John and Stasi Eldredge, "Boy Meets Girl" by Joshua Harris, and "My Utmost for His Highest" by Oswald Chambers. It's a great way to get talking about things that might not normally come up in conversation, and I highly recommend it for any couples out there doing long-distance relationships.

Anyway, in the first few chapters of "Your God is too Safe", Buchanan talks about living in 'the borderland'... that place in life between accepting Christ as one's Savior and plunging whole-heartedly into service of Him and His kingdom. It's a place where I've often felt that I am living. It is especially easy (for me) to fall into the rut of not sharing my faith with the people I interact with every day. Christ calls us to share the Good News with everyone. "Therefore go and make disciples of all nations..." (Matthew 28:19, NIV). That's a command that I fail at each and every day. God doesn't call every Christian to pack up and move to another country to spread the Word, but He does call each of us to witness to those around us. At work, at school, in the grocery store, on the bus. There are so many opportunities that I miss because of fear of what people will think of me, fear of rejection or scorn, or fear of making myself look foolish.

God has really been digging into this area of my life of late. Partly through reading this book, and also through my study of the Word each day and my quiet times with Him. I have a horrible track record so far, but I need to start somewhere. I just don't know where. I could really use some prayer for this. Thanks.

Lord, please give me the opportunities to share your Light with the world, and the boldness to say the words you give me. Let me not rely on my own strength or purpose, but to depend solely on You for each word that comes out of my mouth. Lord, take my pride, turn it into humility to serve in each and every way you would have me do. I desire to serve you, Lord, and yet I know that I don't have the capacity within myself for even that. I pray for your Spirit in my life to direct and guide my every step, and that every thing I do would serve to further your kingdom here on earth. Let me not fear man, but to fear You and You only, the king and master of my life.

No comments: