Thursday, August 07, 2008

Day 23... and my head is spinning

It's only 10:00, and my brain is already fried. I spent the last five hours on homework and studying for my chemistry class. I've had it! This semester is almost over. One more day of classes and then two days of finals. I can't wait. I'm really looking forward to my fall classes, which start on the 20th. I'm taking:

Chemistry 201
Intro to Engineering
Calculus II
Calculus-based Physics for Engineers
and the fun one, Structural Properties of Engineering Materials

It seems like a pretty full load, but I'm taking two of the classes online, so it shouldn't be that much time spent at school. Great for starting out married life! Now I just have to figure out how I'm going to tear myself away from spending time with my wife to get all my homework done each week.

God is so amazing. I've been praying since before Naomi and I got engaged that He would grow me into this new leadership role of being a husband. Honestly, I was scared at first. I knew He would provide, but I felt so... inadequate. And He has shown me time and time again since then that I am exactly that... inadequate to do any good work. I am a sinful man, and as much as I desire to be holy, that isn't possible while I'm still in this human body. That doesn't negate the call or responsibility to be holy, however. Hebrews 12:14 even says that
"... without holiness no one will see the Lord." (NIV)
We are called over and over again in the Word to pursue holiness while we are still here on earth. (1 Peter 1:15-16, 1 Peter 2:9, Ephesians 5:27, 1 Thessalonians 4:1-12)

So what are we to do? The truth is that without God, we have no hope; but through the power of the blood that Christ shed for us on the cross we can be redeemed from our sin. It is daily living in Christ that sets us apart from the world. It is because Christ has called us, and He sacrificed Himself in order to take the punishment for our sin.
"Brothers, think of what you were when you were called. Not many of you were wise by human standards; not many were influential; not many were of noble birth. But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong. He chose the lowly things of this world and the despised things—and the things that are not—to nullify the things that are, so that no one may boast before him. It is because of him that you are in Christ Jesus, who has become for us wisdom from God—that is, our righteousness, holiness and redemption. Therefore, as it is written: "Let him who boasts boast in the Lord."
- 1 Corinthians 1:26-30 (NIV), emphasis added
I can definitely identify with that passage. That's how I feel every day. When God called me, I was in a bad place in life. I was one of the foolish ones that Paul talks about here. The lowly, the sinful, the weak one. Why would God choose me to be his adopted son? Why would He even think about allowing His Son to be crucified for my sins? And yet He did.

This is a huge call to action. There is no place in my life for sitting back and being content in who I am. It is true that Christ died to set us free from sin. Galatians 1:5 says:
"It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery." (NIV)
But that's not the whole story. Freedom from sin through the redemptive power of Christ does not give me license to continue on the path I was following before I was called by Him. There needs to be a complete shift of priorities, a radical change in my life. A few verses later, Paul goes on to say:
"You, my brothers, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the sinful nature..." -Galatians 5:13 (NIV)
It is for freedom that Christ set us free. But it is freedom in Him. It is freedom that is only found by living every minute of my life in full devotion to Him, serving Him with all I've got, and being in such a close relationship with Jesus that everything I do and say and think about is filtered through a heart that yearns to know Him more. This is not a freedom to do what my sinful human nature wants. It is a freedom from what that nature wants.

So, what does all this mean? How do we live this life we've been called to lead?
 "So I say, live by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the sinful nature. For the sinful nature desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the sinful nature. They are in conflict with each other, so that you do not do what you want. But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under law" -Galatians 5:16-18 (NIV
It is life through God's Holy Spirit. It committing my life each and every day to Him. It is being so caught up in His presence that all the pleasures of the world seem to fade. It is putting Him first in my daily activities. Spending quality time reading His Word, praying, meditating on the things He has shown and taught me, praising and worshiping Him. It isn't easy. It takes a lot of work. It's easier to read email and check Facebook for an hour than to sit down and read the Bible for 20 minutes. It's easier to get caught up in school deadlines and wedding planning than to spend time confessing my sins to God and asking Him for wisdom and guidance. It's easier to talk on the phone or chat on Skype than to rest quietly in the abiding presence of our Maker.

It takes work. It takes His strength and grace to make these things a daily habit. But I have been so incredibly, wonderfully blessed by Him from those times. The things He has shown me, the peace and comfort in difficult times, the wisdom and grace to make the right decisions in times of stress... Make Him your priority. Not just for ten minutes out of your busy day. For the whole day. For each and every minute that you are awake. It takes practice, dedication, and most of all, His help. It will take me a lifetime to figure this out, to make this a moment-by-moment relationship with God. But from what I've experienced so far, it is so amazingly worth it.

Lord, thank You for calling me, for drawing me to Your side, and for not letting me go. Thank You for Your call to holiness. Thank You for not letting us be content to be mediocre Christ-followers. Thank You for Your amazing power at work within us that allows us to serve and follow You. Lord, I praise You for the awesome things you have done in changing my life and giving me a purpose to fulfill. I want to serve and follow You for all of my days, Jesus. You are my all in all.  I want to know You more and more every day. Lord, take my life and lead me on in Your perfect will. I love you, Father.

No comments: