Tuesday, August 05, 2008

New food of the week

When I was home last weekend, I picked up and glanced through a book Mom's been reading. It's called "The Maker's Diet", and it's about eating the way God intended for us to eat. I haven't read the whole thing, so I can't recommend anything for or against the book, but I did read a chapter in it where the author, Jordan Rubin, highly recommends drinking kefir, a fermented dairy product that originated in the Caucasus region.

I probably would have never thought about it again, except that when I was out food shopping tonight I happened to see it in the dairy aisle. So in the interest of expanding my culinary horizons, I picked up a bottle.

The best way to describe it is probably as a cross between yogurt and buttermilk, but with the consistency of a milk-shake. It doesn't taste 'bad', but I'm guessing that it is probably an acquired taste. I'll definitely finish the bottle, but even if I loved it, I don't think I could stomach the price tag ($4.39 for a 32 oz. bottle) to make a habit of it.

Interesting, nevertheless, and supposedly very good for the digestive system. I think that I'll stick to some good old-fashioned yogurt, though.


No comments: